Sunday, June 20, 2010

Let Down Your Nets

Golly, I love scripture. I've been digging into the Gospel of Luke the past few days, and I am LOVING it. Funny what you can pick up, and what you can apply if you read between the lines a little, and look at what the passage is actually talking about instead of just reading words.
One of my favorite bits of scripture is Luke 5:1-11. It's a story we've all heard billions of times, (ok, maybe not THAT many ;)) but this time around, I caught on something new. Here's the story:

1One day as Jesus was standing by the Lake of Gennesaret,with the people crowding around him and listening to the word of God, 2he saw at the water's edge two boats, left there by the fishermen, who were washing their nets. 3He got into one of the boats, the one belonging to Simon, and asked him to put out a little from shore. Then he sat down and taught the people from the boat.
4When he had finished speaking, he said to Simon, "Put out into deep water, and let down the nets for a catch."

5Simon answered, "Master, we've worked hard all night and haven't caught anything. But because you say so, I will let down the nets."

6When they had done so, they caught such a large number of fish that their nets began to break. 7So they signaled their partners in the other boat to come and help them, and they came and filled both boats so full that they began to sink.

8When Simon Peter saw this, he fell at Jesus' knees and said, "Go away from me, Lord; I am a sinful man!" 9For he and all his companions were astonished at the catch of fish they had taken, 10and so were James and John, the sons of Zebedee, Simon's partners.

Then Jesus said to Simon, "Don't be afraid; from now on you will catch men." 11So they pulled their boats up on shore, left everything and followed him.

Interesting little story. What I love about this is what happens in verses 4 and 5. Jesus tells Simon (later named Peter) to let down the nets just one more time. Peter makes it clear that he and his companions have been working ALL NIGHT with no luck. They probably smelled like mirky lake water. They were tired. I bet their feet hurt too. I wonder if Simon was thinking "I just want to go HOME!" I know I would've been. But he says "because you say so, I will let down the nets." And guess what?! They pulled in so many fish, their boat couldn't carry them all! It's like a fisherman's dream come true!!

I love Peter. He had his rough spots, but he was a really neat guy. I love his faith here. Despite all the discouragement I'm sure he went through that night, he was willing to try one more time because Jesus asked him too. Am I willing to do that? Are you? Sometimes in life I can get wrapped up in excuses like "God, I'm too tired", or "God, I already tried that", or "God, that's crazy". Is it enough for me to do what he asked me to do just because he asked me to? Interesting to think about. I've thought a lot about this lately with my life decisions, and what's just been going on with me lately. Why is it not enough for me to make a decision I feel like God is leading me to? Why do I worry about what people will say, and the looks I'll get. Do I have the guts, the FAITH to cast down my nets, put it all on the line, and do what He asked me to do just because I am THAT on fire for His kingdom?

At the end of the story, Simon, James, and John leave EVERYTHING and follow Jesus. Not a word, not a single complaint, they just leave. No thoughts to their future, no thoughts to their next meal, they just followed.

Sometimes you'll find yourself at what seems like a rocky cliff. You look down. Rocks. Sharp ones. They represent all your worries. "What if it doesn't work out?" "What if I'm wrong?" Jesus stands behind you and whispers "Do you trust me? Take of leap of faith! An unsure step won't get you across. I'm here. I'll help you on your way. Let down your nets. Leave it all. Trust me."

No comments:

Post a Comment